Early registration is advised
11+ Exam: Tuesday 5th January 2021 (year 6)
Register by 31 October 2020 (year 6)
13+ Exam: Late January (year 8)
Register by 28 February (year 7)
11+ & 16+
All Bursary & Subject Scholarship applications must be received by
30th September the year before entry
All Bursary applications must be received by
30th September of year 6
All Subject Scholarship applications must be received by
30th September the year before entry (year 8)
Merchant Taylors' Senior School Admissions Policy
Entry to the School is at 11+ (Year 7), 13+ (Year 9) and 16+ (Year 12/Sixth Form).
The School's Governors determine its admissions policy, while the Head Master is responsible for securing the admission of pupils. Only he has the authority to admit pupils to the School. The Head Master retains the responsibility for defining the selection criteria and making the final selection based on recommendations from senior members of the academic faculty with whom he shares interviewing and aspects of assessment and testing.
All candidates for admission are treated equally, irrespective of their, or their parents', race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, orientation, property, birth or other status. We comply with our legal and moral responsibilities under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (as amended by the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001 and the Equality Act, 2010).
Indicate on the registration form if your child has a disability or a specific learning difficult so that we can make reasonable adjustments to our admissions procedures to ensure that your son is not placed at a disadvantage compared to other candidates. We need to be aware of any known disability or special educational need that may affect your son’s ability to take full advantage of the education we provide. Should the situation change at any point in the process, you must update the Admissions Officer, Gregg McCann by phone or mail before accepting the offer of a place.
What criteria do Merchant Taylors' use for admissions at 11+, 13+ and 16+?
Merchant Taylors' selects pupils on merit. We base our decision on the breadth of a candidate’s talents and interests and attitude, as well as academic aptitude.
Merchant Taylors' Senior School Terms and Conditions
We offer based on performance in 3 areas
1. A report from your son’s current school (if we don’t receive one, this doesn’t prejudice your son’s prospects in any way). We send you a form for you to forward to your son’s school for completion. The school returns it direct to us.
English, Mathematics and a general paper.
Usually held on the second Tuesday in January at Merchant Taylors’.
3. Individual interviews for boys who are successful in the examinations.
This refers to 13+ admission up to 2021. For 2022 please click here
We offer based on performance in 3 areas. Conditional offers are made before the examinations based on
1. A report direct from your son’s current school. We request this directly and it’s usually completed on a Merchant Taylors’ form. After your son’s interview, we feedback to and discuss your son’s performance with his current school.
2. Individual interviews for all applicants.
3. Merchant Taylors’ examinations in English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and a choice of French, German or Spanish. Held over two days at the end of January at Merchant Taylors’. There is a Latin examination but it is not a compulsory part of the assessment process. All examinations are marked or moderated by Merchant Taylors’ teachers.
16+ Admissions Procedure
Visiting the School
Parents are strongly advised to visit the School prior to application.
Open Mornings take place twice a year, in May and September – a place can be booked here:
Individual tours hosted by a Sixth Former may also be arranged, please visit
Registration and Deposit
Applicants are normally expected to be 16 years of age by 1st September of the year of entry.
The deadline for registration is October 7th in the year preceding entry.
The Registration Fee is £100 and the form can be accessed here:
On acceptance of a conditional offer, a deposit of £1050 is payable (£600 set against the first term’s tuition fees, £400 against final account, £50 non-refundable administrative fee).
The deposit is returned should the conditions of the offer not be met.
Assessment has three components:
- Written assessments in four subjects intended for study at A level, sat in November of Year 11. Candidates will be sent a choices booklet in October and asked to nominate the subjects they wish to study. The assessments will test aptitude for A level study at Merchant Taylors’.
- A reference from the applicant’s current school. This will be requested directly from the school and is completed on a Merchant Taylors’ form. Applicants must also supply a copy of their most recent school report.
- There will be interviews with specialists in the subjects that they wish to study at A Level and a general interview with a senior member of staff. The interviews will test academic aptitude and questions may also focus on strengths and weakness that became evident through the examination process. These are held in early December.
Offers and confirmation of place
Conditional Offers are made on the basis of performance in all three elements of the assessment process and parents will be informed of the outcome in January of Year 11. Offers are confirmed on receipt of final GCSE (or equivalent) results in August. Conditional offers will specify the grades necessary for entry to be confirmed.
We do not discriminate against children on the basis ethnicity, culture or religion, home language, family background, disability, SEND, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, or other attributes, as stated in the Equality Act 2010.
The school is obliged to check the identity of each pupil and parents are requested to provide the original of each applicant’s birth certificate so that we can take a copy. This, along with other necessary records, will be stored securely and confidentially.
Up to two Academic Scholarships, worth up to 50% of the fee may be awarded. Academic Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of performance at interview and in the Entrance Examinations. Award holders will be expected to keep up a good standard of academic effort and achievement.
The School welcomes applications from parents whose sons would benefit from attending Merchant Taylors’ School, and who contribute strongly to the life of the community, but who require financial assistance. Means tested bursarial support is available up to the value of 100% fees. Parents should request an application form from the Admissions Office and return it with the necessary supporting documentation no later than 30th September in the year preceding entry. Applications will be forwarded to Bursary Administration Limited for assessment.