Applying to MTS
Registration deadlines & Examination dates
Early registration is advised
11+ Exam: Early January (year 6)
Register by 31 October (year 6)
13+ Exam: Late January (year 8)
Register by 28 February (year 7)
16+ Exam: November (year 11)
Register by 07 October (year 11)
All Bursary & Scholarship applications must be received by
30th September the year before entry
Merchant Taylors' Senior School Admissions Policy
Entry to the School is at 11+ (Year 7), 13+ (Year 9) and 16+ (Year 12/Sixth Form).
The School's Governors determine its admissions policy, while the Head Master is responsible for securing the admission of pupils. Only he has the authority to admit pupils to the School. The Head Master retains the responsibility for defining the selection criteria and making the final selection based on recommendations from senior members of the academic faculty with whom he shares interviewing and aspects of assessment and testing.
All candidates for admission are treated equally, irrespective of their, or their parents', race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, orientation, property, birth or other status. We comply with our legal and moral responsibilities under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (as amended by the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001 and the Equality Act, 2010).
Indicate on the registration form if your child has a disability or a specific learning difficult so that we can make reasonable adjustments to our admissions procedures to ensure that your son is not placed at a disadvantage compared to other candidates. We need to be aware of any known disability or special educational need that may affect your son’s ability to take full advantage of the education we provide. Should the situation change at any point in the process, you must update the Admissions Officer, Gregg McCann by phone or mail before accepting the offer of a place.
What criteria do Merchant Taylors' use for admissions at 11+, 13+ and 16+?
Merchant Taylors' selects pupils on merit. We base our decision on the breadth of a candidate’s talents and interests and attitude, as well as academic aptitude.
Merchant Taylors' Senior School Terms and Conditions
We offer based on performance in 3 areas
1. A report from your son’s current school (if we don’t receive one, this doesn’t prejudice your son’s prospects in any way). We send you a form for you to forward to your son’s school for completion. The school returns it direct to us.
English, Mathematics and a general paper.
Usually held on the second Tuesday in January at Merchant Taylors’.
3. Individual interviews for boys who are successful in the examinations.
This refers to 13+ admission up to 2021. For 2022 please click here
We offer based on performance in 3 areas. Conditional offers are made before the examinations based on
1. A report direct from your son’s current school. We request this directly and it’s usually completed on a Merchant Taylors’ form. After your son’s interview, we feedback to and discuss your son’s performance with his current school.
2. Individual interviews for all applicants.
3. Merchant Taylors’ examinations in English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and a choice of French, German or Spanish. Held over two days at the end of January at Merchant Taylors’. There is a Latin examination but it is not a compulsory part of the assessment process. All examinations are marked or moderated by Merchant Taylors’ teachers.
September Open Morning: Forum for all prospective candidates. Opportunity to meet Heads of Department.
October 7th, Year 11: Registration for 16+ Entry, forward a copy of most recent School report. Deadline for Bursary applications (application form available from Admissions Office).
Before October half term: References requested from Schools
Early November: 16+ entrance examinations for all candidates in 4 subjects selected for A level.
Mid November: Results/Selection for interview
Late November: Interviews with Heads of Department in four selected A level subjects.
Early December: Offers made, deadline for acceptance and deposit of £1050.
Please contact the Admissions Team for more information.