- Boys receive rigorous training in the skills of critical thinking, communication and mastery of the English Language.
- There is a strong emphasis on the spoken word and public speaking. A number of MTS boys have either won or come runner-up in a national public speaking competition for 5 years in a row.
- There is a full programme of theatre trips and visiting speakers.
- There are several English societies that allow boys to widen their knowledge of literature, write for the student-run satirical magazine, publish creative work and refine their ability in oral storytelling.
- A healthy number of boys each year go on to read English at the top Russell Group universities, including Oxford and Cambridge.